• Image: King Edward VII
  • Image: King Edward VII
  • Image: King Edward VII

King Edward VII Hospital

The first new dwellings within the redeveloped King Edward VII Hospital have been completed. Located in the South Downs National Park, the Grade II* listed arts and crafts hospital was designed by architects Percy Adams and Charles Holden under the patronage of King Edward VII, opening in 1906. Designed to encourage health with fresh air and light, the new dwellings benefit from the original large window openings and external terraces, many with south facing views over the downs, and communal gardens designed by the horticulturalist Gertrude Jekyll. Internally, historic features including timber panelling, carraware tiles, teak staircases and parquet floors have been restored as features within communal and private areas.

F+M were appointed as Lead Consultant by City & Country Group to coordinate detail design for the conversion of the historic Main Sanatorium into 131 residential units. This role is ongoing for further phases of the conversion.

This project has been featured in the following press articles: