• Image: Private House Cambridge
  • Image: Private House Cambridge

Private House, Cambridge

Place House was built in the 1540s by Oliver Leader on the moated site of a manor held by the Carthusians, which had once been a Saxon homestead. It is likely that Elizabeth 1 stayed in the house which was then owned by Sir James Dyer in the summer of 1578. The house was partially damaged by fire in the 17thC. and then partially rebuilt at this time so that the greater part of the building belongs to this period. Originally an irregular H-shaped plan mansion, only the south wing and cross-wing to the west survive. It consisted of a main block and north and south wings, with stone mullioned windows and doorways of tudor type.

20th Century changes included two significant refurbishments of the house. The first in the 1920s for Major Compton, and the second in 1955 when the service areas at the NW corner of the house and the two storey bathroom extension were added.

The project comprised a new kitchen area suitable for contemporary family living, in lieu of 1950s elements, alterations to the 1920s wing, and the conservation and repair of the historic south wing. Feilden+Mawson’s role was initially to assess the building complex and prepare proposals for discussion with Historic England and the conservation officer.

Planning and listed building consent was achieved and we brought on board consultant engineers and specialist builders to coordinate structural repairs and upgrade services with minimal impact on the historic building, including remedial works to address damp issues.

Feilden+Mawson advised the client on all conservation, archi-tectural and building related issues on the project, leading the architectural design with a hands-on approach, work-ing closely with the client to realise their aspirations until the project reached completion.